Beauty Spot: NOT a tutorial on sock buns

Did you try anything new today? When was the last time you played with a fashion trend you were a little afraid to debut? Tell me about it!

When I went to California, I noticed that it was considered stylish to walk around with a donut on ones head -- Apparently a.k.a, "sock bun."

Which led me to Google, which led me to this tutorial video:


Apologies on behalf of Mr. Kate if that annoyed you. You can also read her blog DIY here. For those easily annoyed, I recommend the blog route.

I finally decided to give it a try this morning, but I couldn't really tell if I had done it right, so I kept taking selfies with my iPhone to make sure I didn't look like a snarling monster with footgear visible atop my cranium. I am incredibly embarrassed about selfies, but I am going to show you anyway, just for Ss & Gs (bonus points if you know the reference or meaning of that abbrev).

Result:

From above

From the side (at the office)

Front and other side
So, I wear my hair in a bun frequently, but it's just the twirl and twist and pin kind, rather than the sock kind. I have to say, I received many more compliments on this version of the hair-do. I am no expert, but I believe that the greater symmetry of the sock bun yields higher approval ratings.

Some ratings I received today:
"You look like _________ (some TV show I can't remember the name of but might've been Rodeo Drive?)."
"You look prettier than usual."
"I can tell you're channeling Spring today."
"Oh! You look nice today!" (Surprise from my husband.)

However, if you see my forehead, the illusion of symmetry is officially dissed. I was blessed with an artistically asymmetric hairline and forehead, accentuated by the so-blond-it's-invisible part of my hair that frames my face and always has, adding to the visual receding hairline look that is special to me. Chances are, if you're a brunette or have a straighter hairline, this will look even better on you! Go forth and try.

*Suggestion if you have thin hair, cause I really want to know if it works: try a sock bun with a baby- or child-sized sock! Brill, right?

I also found that there is apparent Sockbun culture. You can follow @sockbuns_swag on Instagram, and if you tag them in your photos of your personal sock bun, they might re-Insta your pic, if that's a thing you like.

NOTE: I did this with wet hair and used some hair putty and a tiny bit of spray to tame the flyaways. Due to Mr. Kate's promises, I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow when I take it down.

YOUR TURN! Repeat of question above:
Did you try anything new today? When was the last time you played with a fashion trend you were a little afraid to debut? Tell me about it!

Comments

Popular Posts