Golden Rule ... in the Workplace?

I am awake late at night when I am exhausted thinking about .... work. Work is the running theme in my life, and something that should really be examined. However, that is for another day.

What is troubling me at the moment is the concept of mercy in business. Is there any room for mercy in business? If so, how do we apply it? Does it cause chaos to operate life by the standard of the Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, or Treat others as you would like to be treated), even in the office?

As proud as I can be, I make a lot of mistakes. Sometimes I get bombarded by so many tasks flying at me in a matter of seconds and I don't really know how to organize everything. Days go by and I feel like I'm just treading water in a sea storm. Somehow all the important tasks get completed, fires are extinguished, and people feel cared for. Yet I am always haunted by the floating list of 'to-dos' which is never done.

All of this makes me very aware of my own flaws and imperfections. It seems I am surrounded by the unflawed. Because I know my faults, I want to have mercy on others, and give them generosity that I hope they would return to me. Still, I suspect this would not be the case. I see it when others take advantage of the mistakes of their coworkers, to their own personal gain. Why do we do this to one another? Does it really pay?

Comments

Isabella said…
Pay.... Personally I can relate because I see this happening all the time at my job. I've thought about it so much and the only conclusion I've come to is that people do it in order to feel more successful and better than the people surrounding them. Whatever they cannot be content with about themselves (<that's confusing) either in the workplace or in their love life, at home, etc. they make up for by finding the flaws in others. It's awful and should be stopped.

Sometimes I wonder if the people that I think of that do this think the same about me, but to be honest I try my hardest to follow the Golden Rule in ALL aspects of my life.

Good thoughts Syd, good thoughts. :)

Popular Posts