'Still Through Broken Skies They Come, With Peaceful Wings Unfurled'

Isaiah 53:3 (English Standard Version)

3(A) He was despised and rejected[a] by men;
   a man of sorrows,[b] and acquainted with[c] grief;[d]
and as one from whom men hide their faces[e]
   he was despised, and(B) we esteemed him not.

Footnotes:
  1. Isaiah 53:3 Or forsaken
  2. Isaiah 53:3 Or pains; also verse 4
  3. Isaiah 53:3 Or and knowing
  4. Isaiah 53:3 Or sickness; also verse 4
  5. Isaiah 53:3 Or as one who hides his face from us

A different sort of Christmas story is represented here for us. 

This story tells me that in moments of disappointed hopes, hours of stalling a celebration that feels empty without that certain someone, days of pleading to understand just why that special person burned you and shut you out -- Jesus, He walked here. 

This week, I have been rejected by men.

This week, I have become acquainted with a new kind of pain. 

This week, I know of many immersed in grieving for lost loved ones.

This week, Jesus came to be my light. 

At Christmas I think most of the joys, and I want everyone else to enjoy it with me. 

Sometimes I forget that there are very real feelings of sorrow and sadness and pure disillusionment that are tightly tied to this season for many people. At the risk of validating a negative outlook on life, I have to acknowledge that Jesus, the 'reason for the season', walks hand in hand with those feeling forsaken, identified by pain, known best for their ailments -- those who'd rather just stay at home and hide out for the holidays. They don't want their faces seen, and to be honest, many don't even consider their faces worth seeing. These are the ones for whom He comes.

Who have you rejected this week? This is the one for whom He comes. (My heart burns.)

Jesus, come again this Advent season. Come, be our Light. Where we've swaddled in darkness, unwrap the Light. 


[It would be great if more of us could check out the O Holy Night Tour -- the Prison Show! Find it at this link: http://www.saragroves.com/. Credit for the song below goes to Sara Groves.]

Comments

Dana said…
Thank you for this profound meditation.

This week, He has asked me to bring His Light to those suffering still in darkness.

Like His first disciples on the hillside, I know I do not have what is needed...

And He teaches me, in the giving it will be given. In the feeding will be your food.

Weakness offered, blessed with strength. This is His economy.

Popular Posts