Honeymooners: NYC Edition!

I am not sure how I am going to write anything right now because my husband just taught me how to use the TV so I can "ffwd" commercials and change back and forth between the football game and The Voice blind auditions, sooooo ... ... this might end up being a LOT of pictures. I mean really, how can you expect me to tear my glance from the kaleidoscope of black/white/gold/teal/green that is MNF (Dolphins v. Saints) alternated with firefighters and 16-year-old girls indulging their secret wish to become famous singers??

Confession: I am ready for a coach besides Blake Shelton to win The Voice (no offense Blake -- you brilliant businessman). But I am not ready for Drew Brees to stop winning. Just keep that trend going. We'll see what happens.

Anyhow, last week my husband and I took our Honeymoon. Sure, it was our first anniversary, and yes -- I am 6 months pregnant. So if you think that bloating, constipation, regular charlie horses, hormones, lots of naps, and eating small meals constantly is sexy, then yes -- we had an incredibly sexy honeymoon!

But seriously, it was awesome. I loved every single minute we had together on this trip, and I don't want to forget it. My husband has many great qualities, but one thing I can't get over about him is the way he makes life fun. I can be serious and think too much -- and he thinks a lot, too, but usually it's about how to make today more fun than yesterday! He is always amazing me with the ideas he comes out with and I just get to enjoy the ride!

First stop was New York City. I have been there once, but it was over 10 years ago, for a few short hours, and I can't remember much about it except for bus smog, so this felt like a first-time visit.

Saw this and I thought "I'm in a movie right now!"

Our dog met his altar ego on the street --  I assume this happens a lot in NYC
STIMULIIIIII
What dreams are made of
This photo taken by our awesome friends David and Crystal, who took us around and fed us and we repaid them by rudely forgetting to take their picture in return. Gotta love them!
Proportion of taxis to regular cars is obscene -- embarrassing show by regular cars
Excited to take my baby bump to see Rafiki -- she looks flattered
So, a lot has already been said about the Lion King on Broadway. All I can say is that it's worth a see. I am not sure I should overhype it any further. It did draw tears to my eyes. I did audibly "ooh" and "ahh" at unexpected theatrics. I had a great time -- and this is coming from someone who had no love for the Disney movie as a kid! You might like it too.

The Lion King was when strangers first started getting really vocal about my obvious pregnantness. I have definitely crossed that threshold and people who've never met me before no longer have any qualms about judging my proximity to alcohol (can it be absorbed by holding hands with someone drinking a rum and coke?? might not be good for the baby!), and offering me things like congratulations and extra cushions. In general, it's fine. Just weird. 

I kept feeling like I was in the opening scenes of Moulin Rouge with CITY STUFF coming at me in my face and disorienting me. Either that, or Blade Runner. Not in a bad way, just in a CONSTANT STIMULI sense.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, for the best thing that ever happened to me...
Hands down, the best breakfast I have ever eaten. Buttermilk blueberry pancakes, complete with lemon peel and wild Maine blueberry compote on top. Served with homemade whipped cream and applewood smoked bacon. You CANNOT miss this if you are in NYC. Just don't do it to yourself. I wept for joy over this food. And not just cause of the pregnancy. 
This is what "magical" looks like -- above the escalator at the Disney Store-- where we stopped to find Mickey things for my nephews, a.k.a. "Mouseketeers"??
And finally, ENORMOUS Calico Critters, just to bring your nightmares to life.  Love these little guys!
NYC was a great time. I don't think I could live there, but I sure did stare open-mouthed the whole time. I would go back for a few days, very intentionally to "do NYC," and hopefully stop and meet Stephen Colbert next time.

All in all, a great way to open the honeymoon/anniversary/babymoon trip.

PS - while writing this, I have chosen Preston Pohl with Team Adam to go all the way this season. 

Comments

Popular Posts